Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ethics cannot be taught, but business can be taught

Go down

Ethics cannot be taught, but business can be taught Empty Ethics cannot be taught, but business can be taught

Post  SomethingFishy Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:00 am

This class teaches 3 things, presentation skills, technical writing, and ethic.

I have to say that after taking this class, my presentation skills did not improve at all. My technical writing skill, however, improved only slightly. That's probably because I wrote so many lab reports from other lab classes before taking this class.

One of the most ridiculous things that I never get is why the colleges attempt to teach ethics in class. It cannot be taught. There is no way to teach students ethics in 1 semester. Ethics can only be taught over a very long period of time. Our ethic and moral values build on our experiences from past actions and upbringings. It would be a waste of resource if the school thinks this class is doing anything good for their engineers.

In place of this class, I believe that students will be better off if the ASE department hires a private career coach to teach students necessary skills to survive in the real world. For example, how to craft a great resume that will catch recruiters' eyes, how to conduct interviews, what to do in order to get internships, how to get related work experience, how to look for jobs, where to look for jobs.

EXPO is a gold mine, but I think our students are under-utilizing it because no one teaches them how to search for jobs. By the time they graduate, they will be faced with the very best corporate catch-22: "How can you get work experience without a job, and how can you get a job without work experience?"

SomethingFishy

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum